[rescue] StorageWorks cabinet rescue

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Mar 1 14:00:32 CST 2002

> I've configured it as 3 spare disks + 1 big RAID-5 of 12 disks
> It shows up as
> c1t0d0 <DEC-SWXRC-04-V25Z cyl 12081 alt 2 hd 16 sec 85>
> /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 4/sd at 0,0
>
> After newfsing I get:
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0      8080781         9   7999965   0% /mnt/0
>
> Question 1) 8Gig seems rather small, shouldn't it be ~20G?
> I don't see any errors in the configuration.

Post the output of SHOW DEVICE and SHOW RAID.

> Question 2) Can I just pull the old drives out of the carriers
> and put in new, large drives?  Or does it require specific
> drives?  If specific drives, which will work, does it depend on
> the controller firmware, if so where can I get the latest/greatest
> firmware?

You can install larger drives, but you'll have to be careful
to either get drives that have the same SCSI ID pinouts, or
jumper the drives to a specific ID and then make sure you
don't cause any conflicts.  You also are limited with the
BA350 to narrow drives, and from the firmware you have I
think 4.3G disks.  I have a later firmware I can email you,
which you can upgrade using kermit on the serial port.

> Question 3) Where can I find documentation for this?
> I have a copy of the "SWXRC-04 RAID Array Controller User's Guide"
> that came with it, but I'd like to find out as much as I can.

Is this the large (~1 inch think) manual?

> Question 4) does anyone have spare SBB's that I can have?
> I might even be willing to pay :-)

These are available cheap on eBay.
--
Eric Dittman