[rescue] StorageWorks cabinet rescue

William W. Arnold warnold at vipnet.org
Fri Mar 1 10:41:41 CST 2002

The Story:
Company-A acquires Company-B.  Company-A decides that they don't want
Company-B's computer assets.  Company-A decides to just throw it all
away.  Person-C (not me) is contracting there, and says, "I'll pull
my truck around and save you the landfill costs" Person-C keeps 20+
300Mhz/128Meg/20Gig Pc's, 2 SparcStation 10's, DDS-2 tape stacker,
DDS-2 tape drive, asst other parts.  Person-C gives me StorageWorks
enclosure that's too big for him to keep.

I am happy.  Now I need to figure out what I can do with it.

What I have (based upon labels and controller output):

SWXRA-YX storage enclosure w/
5 SBB power suplies
15 SWXD3-SB 2.1GB disks (id as RZ28's) (Room for 24)
1 Power entry controller (empty slot for second)
1 RAID controller  (empty slot for backup controller)
	SWXRC-04 RAID Array Controller
	Firmware V27Z-0 hardware B01
	RAID is enabled -- license key is valid
	WriteBack Cache is enabled -- license key is valid
	Mirroring is disabled -- license key is invalid
	Serial console works.

It works :-)

I've configured it as 3 spare disks + 1 big RAID-5 of 12 disks
It shows up as
c1t0d0 <DEC-SWXRC-04-V25Z cyl 12081 alt 2 hd 16 sec 85>
/pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 4/sd at 0,0

After newfsing I get:
/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0      8080781         9   7999965   0% /mnt/0

Question 1) 8Gig seems rather small, shouldn't it be ~20G?
I don't see any errors in the configuration.

Question 2) Can I just pull the old drives out of the carriers
and put in new, large drives?  Or does it require specific
drives?  If specific drives, which will work, does it depend on
the controller firmware, if so where can I get the latest/greatest
firmware?

Question 3) Where can I find documentation for this?
I have a copy of the "SWXRC-04 RAID Array Controller User's Guide"
that came with it, but I'd like to find out as much as I can.

Question 4) does anyone have spare SBB's that I can have?
I might even be willing to pay :-)

-billy- warnold at vipnet.org