[rescue] An interesting non-computer rescue

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Jun 30 11:45:15 CDT 2002

On our little island, the annual Rotary Club Auction is a certifiable Big
Deal.  For weeks ahead of time, people bring their old crap to one of the
local schools, and the Rotary guys organize and tag it for sale.  Come sale
day, they have mountains of stuff, and raise over $200,000 selling most of
the crap back to the neighbors of same folks who contributed it.

But I digress.  The huge classroom full of computers had only outdated PCs,
but in the computer furniture area in the parking lot I scored something
minorly special: a genuine DEC printer table.  It's a clone of a million
other similar tables, but the top is real wood, not press-board, the edging
is high-quality, and the metal substructure is rounded cast aluminium
instead of shoe-cutting sheet-metal.

And let into the top is a little metal inlay that reads "d|i|g|i|t|a|l".

I'll bet it was a $1,000 option when you bought that $7,000 dot-matrix
printer for your VAX, back in the day....

I also scored a few computer books, of which a first-paperback-edition of
"The AWK Programming Language" is the most interesting.

It's becomming a regular Rescue Central around here ... not just computers,
but furniture, books ... and this Old English Sheepdog puppy ....

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall
shel at cmhc.com