[rescue] mail server???

ssandau at bath.tmac.com ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Thu Jun 27 22:19:04 CDT 2002

"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:00:12PM -0400, ssandau at bath.tmac.com wrote:
> > I've been running a mail server with Slackware for a few years now. I
> > have only about 50 users, but it is an imap server with about 2G of
> > mail. (I am a nice guy.) I wrestled with performance problems before
> > putting in 2 100mb NICs and 3x2Gb UW SCSI drives striped. Works fine
> > now. I do think it might work better with on a SPARC instead of the
> > Athlon 1GHz box it's on now. It does still slow under load, but it does
> > not seem to be a CPU problem. I just haven't gotten motivated enough to
> > screw with a working setup. ;)
>
> I would suggest trying on both Maildir-style and mbox style mailboxes
> and see if there is a difference in performance.  Many people claim
> that Maildir is overall less overhead intensive.

I read (and was somewhat confused by) the c-client stuff on mailbox
"drivers." I ended up with mtx because I wanted subfolders and
stability. mbox was the other one I tried. I remeber that it
snarfed mail from /var/spool/mail to the inbox in the user's dir. I
could probably remember how to switch some users over since I have done
that before. Might it be worth the trouble?

--
Steve Sandau, IS Technician
ssandau at bath.tmac.com
TMA Bath Maine