[rescue] The name of the one who created you

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 27 11:52:47 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 12:21:09PM -0400, George Adkins wrote:

> Serious question,
> I can understand not witing it out or speaking the name conversationally with
> others, but just out of genuine curiosity, is it appropriate to use the name
> aloud during conversations with the divine, as in Prayer?
> Or does one simply pray silently, knowing that when you think the name it
> brings immediate attention?

My thought was that what is the point of a name that is never to be
said.  But it seems, according to some people (well, OK, one visiting
speaker from Israel that I went to see at a local... err the jewish
equivelent of a church), that historically Jews are so afraid of
saying it at the wrong time or too much (I.E. using it in vain) that
they think it is better to never say it at all.

Now, my big question is, but I never really wanted to risk offending
someone with it till now, how are your sins paid for if you don't do
animal sacrifice?  Probably this just means I radically mis understood
things, but still...

--
Joshua D. Boyd