[rescue] my new sig

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 27 10:29:55 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 06:18:35PM +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Oh, that was not my intent at all, but it is funny. Jews write G-D without
> spelling it out to avoid "taking his name in vain".
>
> According to Jewish law anything with the (HEBREW*) name of G-D on  it must
> be burried when it is disposed of.
>
> Geoff.
>
> * sort of like Jeh-Ho-V..... But it would be pronunced "yih...", however we
>   never say it.

I knew that jews wrote the name of their god without spelling it out
to avoid taking it in vain, but I didn't know that they also felt the
need to do that for any words that might refer to the same diety.  For
instance, I've never heard of them not spelling out adonai to avoid
taking his name in vain.

I'm not jewish, but I still cringe when I hear people use the proper
name around here.  If nothing else it is darn insensitive to any jews
or former jews that might be near by.

--
Joshua D. Boyd