[rescue] Favorite Terminals

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jun 26 10:14:05 CDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:11:35 -0400 (EDT), Kurt Mosiejczuk <kurt at csh.rit.edu>
wrote ...

> The one other terminal I really want is an adm3.  I knew it for many years
> as a "clamshell".  Built like tanks.  It's supposed to be the only
terminal
> you can roll down a flight of stairs and then plug it in and use it.
>
> And the information on it that I've found says "all of its functions are
> implemented in hardware -- and I mean, in *hardware*, as in the finest
> Schottky TTL money could buy a decade ago"

Maybe _3_ decades ago ... the ADM3 was considered "quaint" when I started at
Peachtree Software in 1981.

They are tough, though.  So was a lot of stuff from that era, back before
the hardware guys figured out just how little material was really
neccessary.  If you ever get the chance, take apart one of the original
Compaq "luggables."  The case was plastic, but the stuff inside was
aerospace-quality aluminium, beautifully folded and punched, complete with
peened-in threaded inserts for all the screws.  And shock mounts for the
hard drive.  I've got a Portable II ('286, 640k, 10MB) from about 1983 which
still works fine.

-Shel
--
Sheldon T. Hall