[rescue] Re: Windows 2000 on oooold PC hardware

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 24 23:17:50 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Michael Free wrote:

> My first windows machine was a cacheless (faulted, and disabled) 386DX40
> with 8 megs of ram running Windows 95... as DOS boxen go, it was pretty
> snappy, useable in under a minute of cold boot.

I can actually under-do that one. :)

The first non-all-in-one computer I owned on my own from my own money was
a Gateway 386DX33 with 387 mathco and 385 cache processor. With its 16MB
of DIP ram on a proprietary ISA-like board, it got me into the world of
UNIX at home, and when I got tired of dual booting the October Beta of
Win95 with Slackware Linux (before I knew better), I bought a pair of
other boards from the same guy... 386DX25, 387, 385, 8MB DIP ram. One went
to a friend, and the other one ran Win95, Office 95 beta, and a few other
things.

Eventually I moved up to a 486/66 with 16 30pin simm slots (wish I still
had that board), made the /33 my windows system, and retired the /25.

And how many of you looked at the /33 and thought "how can you subnet that
far?" :)

--Rob