[rescue] Asterisk PBX (WAS) SMP on intel wasteful?

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Mon Jun 24 23:17:07 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Fogg, James wrote:
> Dude! You used Asterisk in a real environment?? Tell me more. How well did
> it work, what did you use for phones and how did you connect to the telco?

No. I can only lay claim to having been to Mack's appartment and all
around the offices of LSS. I found out about asterisk when I was
introduced to the prototype -- `chuckie' -- and saw and the performance
firsthand. I've seen the channelbanks, the Wildcat (now Wildcard), etc.
I've personally heard just about every mode that asterisk can be
implemented in.

A well-known FreeBSD committer who also lives in town took a look at the
code and says that it's too full of linuxisms to make a clean port to any
other platform. Having taken a few looks myself, I'm kinda inclined to
agree.

I was just furthering the `linux under load' comments. I don't belive a PC
running Asterisk will be able to take a massive load with good performance
under load. Linux's VM doesn't handle load the same as Solaris's. FreeBSD
is an improvement, but not over Sol8. Not when you're talking about flat
out overloading a machine from no load and back again. FreeBSD probably
holds it's own (I have great faith in it), but Sol8 is proven under heavy
load.