[rescue] Solaris 9 ... how low will it go?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 24 22:59:09 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   I have a U60 running MySQL and *lots* of Java stuff...j2se, j2ee,
> etc etc...and a copy of Forte (6.1 I think), a SysKonnect 64bit/66MHz
> PCI FDDI interface, and an Emulex LP8000 FC-AL controller, each with
> vendor-supplied drivers.

Upgrading to 9 disrupted my install of Forte.  I haven't had a chance to
take a look at it yet, but hopefully a reinstall of Forte is all that's
required to make things happy again.

>   This is a work-critical box.  Can/should I put Solaris9 on it?  Should
> my stuff continue to work?

If your hardware vendors have drivers for SunOS 5.9, things should go
well, but I don't know how well 5.8 drivers will work, as Sun supposedly
made major changes to the way the kernel handles threading, mutexes, and
context-switching.

I wouldn't try it without a full backup and a full day to dedicate to it
in case things don't turn up all rosy.  But then, isn't this always the
recommendation for an upgrade on $criticalBox?

--Jonathan