[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Mon Jun 24 22:02:33 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 10:35:39PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> You are an IRIX guru, so how long would this take for IRIX?

actually, i'm not an IRIX guru, i'm an IRIX newbie.  it's somewhat similar to
Solaris, so i'm not completely lost, but it is still WAY different. ;)

> Remember that this is not a sealed-services box, there will be lusers
> with actual logins on such boxen.  Assume one account gets compromised
> - how tough is it secure IRIX against most local root exploits?
>
> Not trying to be snotty, I actually want to know...

i'd love to be able to help you out, but i don't really know.  i'd try some
of the other list denzians like jp or big endian.  they know far more of IRIX
than i do.

> If I was offering solely Apache with my colo accounts it would be
> Sparc/SGI and a Cray with blinky lights to impress the suits and earn
> me geek points.

woo!

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --