[rescue] Re: intel wasteful?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 24 19:54:29 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, George Adkins wrote:

> > Most PC's will indeed post without video if you attach video for the
> >
> Hmm, I've never met a PeeCee board that didn't either fail post with bad
> beep-codes, or just sit there and do nothing if it had no video.  But then
> again, I've only been playing with PeeCees since the mid Eighties or so.
> Any particular brand or model you recommend for Headless use?

Maybe try SuperMicro's P6DBE or similar? That's what I have. Or get a SBC
with serial redirect. I got one in a case with a celeron 366, 64meg sdram,
and LVD SCSI for $50 3 months ago. Sure, it has video onboard, but you
don't have to use it, and it takes no extra space unless you're concerned
with liquid displacement. Throw it in a 1U case and you're in business.

The problem I've seen more often is that it has problems without a
keyboard installed. "KEYBOARD ERROR--PRESS F1 TO CONTINUE"

I haven't been using headless PCs since the 80s, I'll admit. But I know
that "shortcoming" doesn't dismiss the possibility of their working. Heck,
I think I have a Dell minitower server at work running Solaris x86 on a
serial console. I avoid it like the plague, but it's there.

--Rob