[rescue] intel wasteful?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Jun 24 19:35:04 CDT 2002

> Most PC's will indeed post without video if you attach video for the
> first boot, go into the BIOS settings, and tell it you're running
> headless and no please don't stop for POST errors.

Hmm, I've never met a PeeCee board that didn't either fail post with bad
beep-codes, or just sit there and do nothing if it had no video.  But then
again, I've only been playing with PeeCees since the mid Eighties or so.
Any particular brand or model you recommend for Headless use?

> > Anyway, boot a PeeCee from Tape?
> > I'm all ears.
>
> If I'm flush with time in a couple of weeks when I get back from Philly,
> I'll humor you with a minicom log of a PC's serial port while it is
> booting the OpenBSD installer off of tape.

Hmm, I wasn't aware that the OpenBSD install kernel would re-direct console
output to serial port on x86 either.  I guess I'll have to do some research.
Is this the install kernel or a Debug-enabled kernel compiled special with
serial console redirect support?  Which OpenBSD? 2.6? 3.0?

How did you get the PeeCee BIOS to read a boot block from Tape?
Or are you using a Bootstrap Floppy?
is it SCSI? Which host adapter? (I'm unaware of any PeeCee SCSI host adapters
that support booting from tape directly)

Details, Please... This is all rather... Nebulous.

George