[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jun 24 18:47:12 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 19:14, Loomis, Rip wrote:

> Interesting perspective you have there.  From my view,
> you wandered into a mailing list,

I've been here for months.  Recently re-de-cloaked.  Check your
archives.

> stirred up the
> denizens who've been there for years, made statements
> based on your opinions, and then had issues when
> people treated you like a troll.

You didn't read the thread.

McGuire made a loose and dirty statement that I didn't agree with.  I
asked him to elaborate, and gave first hand anecdotal evidence on why I
disagreed with his statement.  He weaseled out, firing insults in his
retreat.

Usually the trolls are the once that fire off ill researched opinions,
and then refuse to back them up with anything substantial.

And somehow that makes *me* the troll?  Pfft.

> Whatever.  I actually *agree* with much of what you
> said--but the low-end Dell and IBM x86 systems that
> I use for certain things at home are better built than
> most x86 boxes and are IME still not as reliable as Sun
> boxes of the same vintage...

I don't buy dell.  I don't work for clients who standardize on it.  I
believe strongly enough in that, based on historically bad experience
with even their higher end stuff, that I'd seriously contemplate leaving
a great job if they started bringing in Dell hardware.  The bad
reliability of the hardware could reflect badly on a sysadmin when
management is looking for scapegoats.

> As Dave said (in several variations), Have A Nice Day.

Oh it was.  Three day work weeks are great.

> I would have added, "and don't let that swinging door
> hit you in the rear on the way out".

Anyone who lobs insults so freely with nothing to back them up *should*
hope that people like me go away.

> I'm just glad that no one's head actually exploded when
> you used Perl as a reason (apparently) why everyone needed\
> an SMP x86 system available...

That wasn't a reason.  You're connecting dots, but in the wrong order.
Context, context, context.