[rescue] Favorite Terminals

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 24 18:43:23 CDT 2002

At an insurance adjuster's office today, I saw an IBM InfoWindow terminal.
Now, I've been mostly happy with the green-and-black Digital VT420 I have.
I have lots of problems with buffer overflows (lots of backwards ?s) that
I don't know how to fix, but, generally, it behaves admirably at 9600bps.
I don't like the keyboard, but I'd definitely used worse.

The adjuster's InfoWindow had color, reasonable clarity, an IBM clickey
keyboard, and it certainly didn't appear to be running at 9600bps.
However, it used a coaxial connection, rather than RS-232.  Do these
terminals ride directly on thinnet (or token ring) or is this a
proprietary IBM connector?

Not intending to start another holy war... what are some of your favorite
serial terminals?  I'm seriously considering revising my "black-and-white
XTerm in every room" project to be "swank serial terminal in every room",
and feel like I'm woefully undereducated on what's out there.

--Jonathan