[rescue] intel wasteful?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jun 24 18:40:37 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 19:09, George Adkins wrote:

> Cool, then you're down with Core Memory and accoustic delay lines? Right?
> you've loaded RL02's and RL05's before?

No.  Quit showing off, though.  It's tacky.

Around 1980 I was programming a HERO 1 in object code if it is 20+ years
of geek points you're trying to tabulate.

I scored my first printer writing printer drivers for the Apple II to
support C. Itoh printers (8510 color was the first).  Oh yeah, I was
about 8 years old at the time.

Still, this chest thumping crap is pretty lame.

> heh, then you're seeing the better side of him.  Wait untill you're in the
> same room with him and a Burrito.

I can flatulate with the best of them.  Bring on the red cabbage and
bratwursts!

> Without a PCWeasel? all the PC boards I'm familiar with either have
> Integrated Video or won't even post without a Video Card in them.  Please
> enlighten me...

Most PC's will indeed post without video if you attach video for the
first boot, go into the BIOS settings, and tell it you're running
headless and no please don't stop for POST errors.

For many years when I was PC rich but video card poor, I got by with one
video card by loading the OS on one machine, take the card out, boot the
machine back up headless, and move on.  You could even run OS/2 that way
if you ripped out the PM and replaced with tshell.  Made it gobs faster
on that old hardware too.

> > > From a Tape Drive...
> >
> > Ninteen-Seventy when indeed.  Welcome to the 21st century.
> > Though that is still not a problem.
>
> Hey, I've had more than 1 computer that booted from QIC tape, more than 1 Sun
> even...
> Anyway, boot a PeeCee from Tape?
> I'm all ears.

If I'm flush with time in a couple of weeks when I get back from Philly,
I'll humor you with a minicom log of a PC's serial port while it is
booting the OpenBSD installer off of tape.