[rescue] on intel wasteful?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Mon Jun 24 16:19:42 CDT 2002

> Computers are TOOLS.  They are devices to solve problems, and you must
> take care in choosing the proper tool for your problem.  Blind advocacy
> does no good whatsoever to those of us who are willing to understand
> and use every available tool in our arsenal to solve a problem.

This is an excelent metaphor, but to correctly orient this, one would need to
make use of the 'hole hawg' reference from Neal Stephenson's essay.

Computers are tools, like Snap-On or Makita.  Well crafted and powerful.
Expensive, but they're supposed to be.  You get what you pay for.

PeeCees are like the little pot-metal Tiny Handyman Tool Set that I got for
my fourth birthday.  Made in Taiwan and unable to take much load without
breaking down.  But cheap, since their only real uses are for playing games
and as 'Me Too!' toys for Suits.