[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Mon Jun 24 14:51:26 CDT 2002

>   Come to think of it, I believe it was the '730, not the '750, that
> booted its VAX instruction set microcode from TU58.  I think the way
> it worked with the '750 is that it could load updated microcode or
> microcode patches from the TU58 or the system disk (PCS750.BIN comes
> to mind) but the base VAX instruction set microcode is indeed in ROM.
> It has been FAR too long.

I used the have some prerelease documentation for the 11/750
that referred to it as a "microcoded VAX emulator".  One of the
other features listed was the ability to load your own micro-
code to emulate other processors.  Later documentation dropped
the "microcoded VAX emulator" bit, and while the microcode
compiler was available, I don't recall anyone using it, at
least to emulate other processors.  I do know the whole
"load your own" microcode feature was deemphasized.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net