[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 24 12:48:46 CDT 2002

> >   This, however, doesn't change the fact that the overall
> > x86 processor architecture is repulsive. ;)
>
> More nebulous statements.

I'll leave aside the fact that Dave already pointed to the
extensive archives of the last time this argument came up
on the list.

Dave's statement above is vague only for those who haven't
played enough in the x86 pigpen.

Anyone who's ever written assembler/machine code for more
than one architecture has encountered at least one which
is better suited to a general-purpose OS than the x86.
The limited number of registers and memory segmentation
are only two of the issues off the top of my head.

  --Rip (who used to be a TA for an x86 assembler course
	back in 1989, and hated it even then.)