[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 24 12:43:15 CDT 2002

~ -----Original Message-----
~ From: Chris Hedemark [mailto:chris at yonderway.com]
~ Sent: Monday, June 24, 2002 1:33 PM
~ To: rescue at sunhelp.org
~ Subject: Re: [rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?
~
~ Still, while that hardware is mighty studly, the dollar for dollar
~ argument still trumps the CISC vs. RISC argument in terms of overall
~ system performance.  The kind of people footing the bill for
~ that exotic
~ hardware are increasingly turning to cheapo CISC clusters and laughing
~ all the way to the bank.

Umm, no.

Cheap hardware clusters cost same/more than RealBoxes in the end. My company
is learning this now. Clone-Nix on Intel doesn't translate one-to-one or
clockcycle-to-clockcylcle when compared to a box designed to be a Unix box
running Unix. Been there, doing that now, have t-shirts. I'm in a unique
position to know as we run identical services on equal number of solaris/sun
boxes as linux/intel boxes. We aren't even using cheap intel boxes. Thank
God our rewrite of the software was in something that can play on both linux
and solaris.

When you push linux/intel to the limits you push it righ off the table.