[rescue] It Figures...

Jeffrey Sharp lists at subatomix.com
Mon Jun 24 09:03:56 CDT 2002

On Monday, June 24, 2002, Steve Pacenka wrote:

> The fdisk included with Dead-Rat and Plebian ... prevents allocating
> "cylinder" zero to any partition.

That's basically what's going on with the FBSD installer. In previous
releases, the installer brought up a (textual) dialog box and asked you
whether you wanted the whole disk used safely (leaving the tiny gap) or
dangerously (with no gaps between the MBR and partition). The dangerous
option was incompatible with MS software, probably because the standard MBR
data structure can't describe the dangerous partition. IIRCTI. CMIIW.

It's unfortunate that the option is no longer there, but I'm not letting it
get to me. If it's that important, one might want to check the FreeBSD CVS
logs and see what was the reason for removing the option. Again, you should
be able to fix the problem by fdisking manually or using an old install
media's visual fdisk.

--
Jeffrey Sharp