[rescue] It Figures...

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Sun Jun 23 20:16:08 CDT 2002

On Sunday 23 June 2002 09:00 pm, you wrote:
> I don't know how you are attempting to install FreeBSD, but I have been
> using it since 2.0 up to the current day. At any given time I have FreeBSD
> on about 25 to 30 servers here. I can assure you, I have never had to
> create an MS-DOS partition first, even with regards to the filename length
> you mention. Care to clarify?

Sure, Boot the installer.
go to the 'F-disk' screen and choose "use entire disk"

The dialog box which used to come up and allow you to actually USE the WHOLE
disk is no longer there.  It now places a 63 sector DOS compatibility
partition ahead of the FreeBSD partition, and you may also (depending on the
disk) lose space at the tail end of the disk as well because of the offset.

I Don't want this stupid handholding.  I want the FSCKing partition to start
at the first Cylinder of the dammed disk.  Period.

I want my partitions to be in /dev/sd0
Not in /dev/sd0s1

I don't want any DOS-compatible space at the beginning of the disk, I want to
use the ENTIRE disk as one device.  I want EVERY sector of the disk to be
available for me to manipulate as I see fit.  I _don't_ want the OS installer
to decide that it's in my best interest to carve out extra space at the
beginning of the disk for me, 'in case I want to install Windows later on...'

Does that answer your question?

George