[rescue] IRIX media identification question

Guy Yasko gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp
Sun Jun 23 06:24:44 CDT 2002

>>>>> "ghub" ==   <ghub005 at xtra.co.nz> writes:

    ghub> Hi Lads I've been offered a whole bunch of IRIX CDs by a guy
    ghub> in Australia. He sent me a list of all the stuff he has
    ghub> left. He will sell everything in the list for 30USD
    ghub> including postage. The tiles are:

    ghub> << SC4-IRIX-6.4.1 REV V - SEALED IRIX 6.5 LIBRARY,
    ghub> DEVELOPMENT FONDATION, DEVELOPMENT LIBRARIES, 6.5
    ghub> APPLICATION, 6.5 INSTALLATION TOOLS, 6.5 FOUNDATION 1 AND 2,
    ghub> 6.5 BASE DOCUMENTATION, IRIX 6.5.4, 6.5 APPLICATIONS, 6.5.4
    ghub> OVERLAYS 1 AND 2.

    ghub> Unfortunately I don't know much about IRIX media kits
    ghub> either. From the list above, does it look like there is
    ghub> enough to install v6.5?

looks like it.  you'll need the applications disk, the foundation 1 &
2, and the installations tool.  i guess you could install without the
development stuff, but i wouldn't.

    ghub> Also is there anything of interest in the remaining CDs?

not to me.  if you want to run 6.5, the 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 stuff probably
won't be very useful.  the 6.3 stuff is especially worthless without
an O2, and the 6.4 stuff is meaningless without an octane.  even if
you have one of those but want to install 6.5, all it does is run up
the postage.  for him.

however, for thirty u.s. i wouldn't worry.  go for it.

Guy Yasko -- gyasko at mx7.ttcn.ne.jp

Uh-oh!!  I forgot to submit to COMPULSORY URINALYSIS!