[rescue] Any TeXperts?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 21 22:28:19 CDT 2002

Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> writes:

> 2.  Someone (lost the email) mentioned that they had worked
>     up a spiffy makefile to build their TeX projects.  I'd
>     appreciate it if whoever had that would shoot it at me!

That was me; I've posted it to my website.  It's dependent on having
properly-installed Computer Modern Type 1 fonts and having ghostscript
properly installed, but it creates lightweight, handsome pdf files, unlike
pdflatex.  If anyone else wants a copy of it, the file is here:

  http://jonathan.celestrion.net/crap/Makefile.latex

> 3.  Is there something better I should be looking at?  I'm

What more could you possibly want? :)

>     enjoying LaTeX so far, but I'm just getting started.  In
>     the end, I'd love to be able to generate both pdf output
>     files and some kind of decent looking html as well.

latex2html isn't too bad, so long as your documents are relatively
straightforward.  If you want equally good printer output and HTML, you
probably want (cringe) texinfo.

>     Documents will mostly be short (5-10 pages, max)
>     instruction guides, customized for individual installation.

I don't know how well texinfo handles document customization through
included files, but LaTeX makes this wonderfully easy.  But, I've had
pretty good luck with latex2html.

--Jonathan