Lisp (was: Re: [rescue] fans fans fans...)

wlewis at mailbag.com wlewis at mailbag.com
Fri Jun 21 13:34:36 CDT 2002

Dave,

Given your large selection of Unix boxes, I'd suggest CMU CL as the best free
choice for you. Version 18D runs quite well under Solaris for example.
http://www.cons.org/cmucl/ will get you going.

For a good beginners text, there is " A Gentle Introduction" by David S.
Touretzky and available for free at:
http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

A good dead tree resource is Paul Graham's "Ansi Common Lisp". Info on it is
here: http://www.paulgraham.com/acl.html

Once you are slightly hooked, check out Paul Graham's earlier book "On Lisp"
which is available for free at http://www.paulgraham.com/onlisp.html Grok it
and you'll be a real lisp hacker.

Other pointers and resources can be found at the Association of Lisp Users
http://www.alu.org

If you decide to try Scheme then it gets even more, ah, "interesting"...

Enjoy!

William