[rescue] fans fans fans...

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jun 21 11:27:10 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 12:13:13PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 12:05, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>
> > A minimum task for a beginner should be to install linux, and
> > extremely customize the startup scripts, desktop environment, and
> > kernel drivers.  There should be nothing left except what you actually
> > use.
>
> Instead of tearing down, would it not be more constructive to build it
> up?
>
> In other words, take a barebones *NIX like OpenBSD and add to it only
> what you need.

For the modern hacker, it is probably better to start on linux, then
switch to net or open BSD when they are ready for hardcore driver
hacking.  Of course, this assumes that modern == something to do with
something vaguely multimedia like.

> BTW - I worked for a l33t DSP design shop in Chapel Hill.  I think we
> hired one guy from UNC-CH and he was a software guy.  All the hardcore
> hardware guys were from NCSU and d00k.

Well, where does the Pixelflow hardware come from then?

--
Joshua D. Boyd