[rescue] fans fans fans...

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Jun 21 10:38:45 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 11:25, Leslie Connally wrote:
> With all this talk about U1 fans, and on the cobalt list I'm on, _they're_
> always talking about fans..  I was wondering.. is there an optimum
> temperature for a CPU? Is cooler always better.

DISCLAIMER: I am not an EE.  Just speaking from experience, or out my
arse (pick any two).

I'd have to think that "room temperature" (i.e. in the vicinity of 70
degrees F) would have to be "good enough" and that anything cooler than
that just isn't worth the effort.  There has got to be a point of
diminishing returns.  I've run equipment at 40 degrees F (the room not
the machine) and not noticed any improvement in performance over running
the same box in a 70 degree room.

Considering some of this gear is 10+ years old, has been "thermally
stressed" on a number of occasions,  and is still running... well draw
your own conclusions.