[rescue] U1 fan FCO details (called sun today)

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Jun 20 15:02:16 CDT 2002

Opened a ticket w/Sun this morning about the U1 fan/heatsink FCO.

When I first talked to the engineer, he said that since the system was
out of warranty, it would be a time and materials issue (e.g., cost me
money).  I told him that I'd had a few friends who had thier boards
replaced at no cost out of warranty.  He said he'd check on it and call me
back.

Here's the ticket I submitted (with address, etc not listed):

Hardware Platform: Ultra 1
Serial Number: 719f121c
Part Number(s) and Quantity: Motherboard serial # 501 1432 6004225
Has heatsink/fan; need to replace motherboard according to FCO #A0089-1
Part Description: Ultra 1 motherboard

Here's his response on the ticket:

FCO is still active and their are no clauses dealing with T&M within it
to deny the customer a system brd

He called me back and said that since the wording on the FCO was vague, they
were going to go ahead and send me a board at no charge (I have to return the
old one, of course).  They're sending me a 501-2486, which comes up as a
U1/170E board; the one I have now is a 501-1432 U1/170.  So, I'm getting
an upgrade as well. 8-)

However, he mentioned that they may change the wording on the FCO to reflect
that board swapouts are only free if within the warranty period; if anybody
has a board they need to get replaced, do it *ASAP*.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net