[rescue] quiet SPARCstation

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 18 20:36:52 CDT 2002

Has anybody put any effort into reducing the noise level on their
SPARCstation?

I got to thinking, I want to do something to reduce the dB-age on this SS5
clone (SS1+ pizza box), like replace the PS fan, for starters.  There's
also a lower hum from vibration that comes out through the feet and into
the table.

I'm curious what means people have used (and, for that matter, if I'm the
only one who cares about noise).  Yeah, I'll be hitting the "quiet PC" info
sites too--that's probably what put this bug in my ear in the first place.

Sort of on the same topic, does anybody know what the silicone-sealant-like
substance is called that you run into when you open up a power supply?  It
looks like it's placed strategically to damp vibrations a/o keep things in
place.  I had to remove some when extricating the pigtail on the PS fan
that I plan to replace.  If noise reduction is my goal and if that's what
the silicone-like stuff is there for, I should be ready to replace that
too.

Thanks.

-k