[rescue] Sick Dreamcast hacker

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 14:18:32 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:53:58AM -0700, Koyote wrote:

> Okay- given that RPN is More traditional than EOS for calculators:
>
> It sounds like you are talking about compbining an hp41 with and hp48 and adding a multitasking os (an assumtion based on the observation that otherwise you are describing an hp48 with a different version of lisp than is installed?). Which is *exactly* what I want. (So I'm probably interpreting your actual idea to suit myself)

I haven't used the hp41 or hp48.  The friend that had an HP (model
number unknown, but it was relatively new looking) said it was a stack
machine with a vaguely forth like postfix operating environment.  So I
take it from your comments that HP41s and 48s are different?

> except, I want the size of a 41/42 or maybe the clamshell 28. I don't like the form factor of the 48 (and ti crap).
>
> 1: in addition to lisp (which hps use a version of- RPL), a
> functional keybased programming (like the 32sii, 20s, 42s, etc)
> interpreter would be nice. *Incredibly* intuitive and fast for quick
> programs.

Well, I probably should use an HP sometime.  I've only used TIs and
Casios, and my comments are based on what I wish for instead.

> 2: I'm not sure abut mixing prefix and postfix. I'd prefer to keep
> posfix as it translates to actual manual entries in the calculator
> better,IMO.

Wait, didn't you say that HPs are using lisp?  Most people when you
say lisp like language think s-exps with prefix notation.  Otherwise it
is just some functional language.  The s-exps are probably the more
important of the two, which you said nothing about.

--
Joshua D. Boyd