[rescue] Sick Dreamcast hacker

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 18 11:52:06 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 04:47:03PM +0000, wlewis at mailbag.com wrote:

> There is very little that I wouldn't do for such a machine. Macsyma is
> available now, use it as the calculation engine... sigh. If I knew FPGA
> programming, I'd try that myself just to have it. steal the screen from a Palm,
> hang a decent keypad on it and away you go.

What is available is called Maxima.  MacSyma is still proprietary (and
now dead) software.  Maxima is the modernized version of a copy of old
goverment owned version.

Anyway, Maxima is good stuff.  BTW, have you look at Symmax?  It is a
front end that is rather interesting.  Rather than try to copy the
mathematica way, it is a directed graph based system.

But, for this purpose, I suspect maxima would be too heavy.  Perhaps
it should be a scheme device and running jacal.

And there is no need to steal the screen from a palm.  We can buy them
easily enough.

--
Joshua D. Boyd