[rescue] Solaris 9 U1, U5 (was regarding bulk lot purchases (Octanes & Ultras))

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sun Jun 16 14:15:50 CDT 2002

On Sun, Jun 16, 2002 at 12:57:03AM -0400, Katherine Strojny wrote:

> You know, I ruled out the U1 b/c the Sol 9 Sys Admin's Eval Guide "highly
> recommends" UltraSPARC at faster than 400 MHz.  I have Sol 8 on an oldish
> PC and it runs Java-based apps unusably slow, so I'm more than a little
> receptive to performance recommendations like that.  But maybe I'm being
> too hasty.

from what i hear all around, 9 is faster than 8.  8 runs *great* on my sparc20.
the Eval Guide is controlled by the marketing department it seems.

as for java.  *nothhing* runs java well.  it's just as bad as perl. ;)

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --