[rescue] best NetBSD support

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Jun 16 08:55:05 CDT 2002

On Sun, 16 Jun 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Personally, I doubt I would choose NetBSD for a workstation unless the
> graphics available on it where so old that NetBSD took full advantage
> of them.  Like perhaps the GX boards...

Who needs gfx?  The Unix box that I use the most is headless--an 80x48
screen session happily runs all the apps I use besides Netscrape,
Acroread, and GIMP.  I only use X for things like that and to give me
side-by-side screen sessions.  At college (a mere two years ago), my
console was a lovely green VT420 on an Indigo2 R10k.

A want a wireless VT510 with a green plasma display.  I'd be perfectly
happy getting work done from the shade in the backyard, which is much more
scenic than the workroom.

RS232.11, anyone? ;)

Anyway, my point was that there is still a distinct difference between
"workstation" and "graphics workstation".  My -work- does not require
graphics, except for needs to read a digram or a PDF, or when I'm getting
paid to do *cringe* web design, like I am at the moment.

--Jonathan