[rescue] Sun 5.7 disk partion juggling

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Fri Jun 14 11:09:07 CDT 2002

> 	I also have a terrible conflict of interests now. They are talking
> about replacing these units with groupwise servers. They have made a verbal
> commitment to give me the sparcs ( about three of them, maybe more) with
> all associated stuff when that is done. So if I fix them to well then I
> don't get them, I don't want them to go groupwise/windows but if I talk
> them out of it I loose the extra sparcs, and if I teach them to the level
> were they can maintain them themselves I loose both the sparcs and possibly
> my job. It's hard to fight my sense of doing a job right and my sense of
> greed here.

1. keep your job.  otherwise, you'll have to end up selling the sparcs to buy
food.  you can still play with them while they are in production.
2.  pose the "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" position to them.  how may
years have they worked _just_fine_?  do they *really need* some feature that
the existing (and already paid for) system doesn't provide?
3. Are they ready for the Hidden Costs? (not only the new hardware and
software, but also administrator training or hiring someone conversant with
the software? interruption of workflow while transitioning to the new system?
staff training costs associated with the new system and features?  support
costs?)
4. explain that they're talking about replacing a system which has proven
itself reliable for how many years?  with something *new* which has how many
security holes in it?  sitting on top of an OS which is the #1 target of
Viruses and Worms, and which by the recommendation of the manufacturer needs
to be constantly updated and patched to remain secure.  and any of those
security patches may break the software...  Anyone remember NT4SP6 and what
it did to Bloated Notes (Lotus Notes)...

George