[rescue] Sun 5.7 disk partion juggling

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Jun 14 11:09:11 CDT 2002

On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Michael A. Turner wrote:

> 	I also have a terrible conflict of interests now. They are talking
> about replacing these units with groupwise servers. They have made a verbal
> commitment to give me the sparcs ( about three of them, maybe more) with all
> associated stuff when that is done. So if I fix them to well then I don't
> get them, I don't want them to go groupwise/windows but if I talk them out
> of it I loose the extra sparcs, and if I teach them to the level were they
> can maintain them themselves I loose both the sparcs and possibly my job.
> It's hard to fight my sense of doing a job right and my sense of greed here.

A sense of dignity and honesty will probably keep you much warmer at night
than SPARC hardware will.  However, you probably want to find a way to fix
things well that involves them as little as possible.

For example, single-user mode is -rarely- required for maintenance.  It's
just a convenience.  So long as you can shut down whatever services will
be affected (but keep sshd alive), you can perform all sorts of system
maintenance without ever taking anything down.  Yes, it's working without
a net, but it does work in a pinch, and if your job is in jeopardy, it's a
pinch.

--Jonathan