[rescue] Axil-255?

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 13 22:27:43 CDT 2002

Jeremy RJ Towers wrote:
> It seems to me that the SIMMS are in banks of 8.
>
> Thus:
>
> front
> 1    1
> 1    1
> 0    0
> 0    0
> 1    1
> 1    1
> 0    0
> 0    0
> back
>
> To confirm this, please place 4 SIMMS in bank 1 only

Cool.  I think you got it.  8 SIMMs in bank 1 above => 32 MB recognized in
bank 1.  This fits with what you were saying earlier about these looking
like 4 MB SIMMs.  But it doesn't like having just 4 SIMMs.  I tried the 6
most sensible combinations for filling the 8 slots of bank#1 with 4 SIMMs.
All resulted in the Compose LED.  I'll spare you the pictures--the 6
configs I tried were:  left 2 pairs, right 2 pairs, front 2 pairs, back 2
pairs, front slot of each pair, back slot of each pair.

So maybe it needs a bank to be completely filled.

> I think  that banks 2 and 3 are those DIMM sockets visible in the
picture.

That makes sense.  (I was wondering what those were for.)  I'll try to pick
up a couple of what you said: 72pin FPM parity DIMMs.  32MB I'm guessing?
That goes on the shopping list for this little project, along with another
4MB SIMM (so I can fill both banks 0+1at once), CD drive, cable for the
floppy (or not), and Solaris media.

Grasshopper is beginning to understand the term "clone".  Thanks for the
help, Jeremy.

-k