[rescue] Axil-255?

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 12 22:48:53 CDT 2002

Jeremy RJ Towers wrote:
> Try following the SS2 convention and see what happens.

Progress!  But not consistent with SS2 convention:
- With SS2 banks 0 and 1 filled, 32 MB are recognized in bank 0.  Tried
totally rearranging the same 8 SIMMs within these banks, got same results
every time.
- However, when I took out bank 1and just had bank 0 filled, got the
compose LED.
- Banks 0+1+2 -> no error LEDs but monitor didn't start
- Banks 0+ 2 -> compose light
- Banks 1+ 3 -> compose light

Jeremy RJ Towers wrote:
> When the six  + six are in , what is the memory reported?
>
> I am fairly sure these are 4mb sims so I think you said earlier 32mb was
shown????  That would make sense if SS" was being followed.

With the 6+6 toward the front edge of the board:

Probing Memory Bank #0: Nothing there
Probing Memory Bank #1: 32 Megabytes
Probing Memory Bank #2: Nothing there
Probing Memory Bank #3: Nothing there

With the back 6+ 6:
same as above except bank #0 has 32 MB, remainding banks have "Nothing
there".

So here are diagrams of what has worked so far (hope this makes sense):
+ = slot filled
- = slot empty

-    -        (SS2 banks 0+1 -> 32 MB in bank 0)
-    -
+    +
+    +
-    -
-    -
+    +
+    +

-    -        (back 6+6 -> 32 MB in bank 0)
-    -
+    +
+    +
+    +
+    +
+    +
+    +

+    +        (front 6+6 -> 32 MB in bank 1)
+    +
+    +
+    +
+    +
+    +
-    -
-    -

I guess I need to find out more about the SIMMs.  At this point I'm
wondering if there are some mismatched sizes along with still not
understanding the memory bank layout.  I suppose I could try emailing Rave
about the layout--I couldn't find anything about Axil-255 on their website.
Anyway, this gives me something simpler to work with, presuming I don't
time out.

Jeremy RJ Towers wrote:
> Also, those look like 72 pin Dimm sockets. Maybe try a pair of those, if
you have them. They will be  72 pin fast page mode parity.

DIMMs, nope.

Thanks for the suggestions.

-k