[rescue] Pro audio on Sun

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 11 15:43:06 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 03:30:42PM -0500, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:
> I thought that Audio on MacOS X was _really_ good. I was talking with an
> audio guy and he said Apple put a lot of work into Darwin to get the latency
> really low specifically for audio.
>
> One of my clients is a professional studio and about 90% of their machines
> are Macs. They even had a TiBook with a fancy Firewire audio breakout box.
> They loved it, they could do really good recordings anywhere.

Yeah, but using a fancy API isn't as easy as doing something like
#include <releventstuff.h>
void main () {
     FILE fp;
     char a [4096]

     fp = open("/dev/dsp", 'r');

     int f = AFMT_S16_LE;
     ioctl(fp, SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT, &f);
     ioctl(fp, SNDCTL_DSP_CHANNELS, 2);
     int s = 44100;
     ioctl(fp, SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED, &s);

     while (read(fp, a, 4096)==-1) {

     //process audio in a

     }

     close(fp);
}

Of course, you need to add a few more ioctls if you want any sort of
sync, and you will need to do some fiddling to account for latency,
and I do leave out all the safety checks, but it is darn simple.

--
Joshua D. Boyd