[rescue] Axil-255? (was "Looking: Manual for SPARCstation 1+")

Katherine Strojny kstrojny at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 10 13:49:07 CDT 2002

> I have a 3 book set for the SPARCstation 1 which is composed of:
>
> Sun System User's Guide
> Installation Guide
> Sun System & Network Manager's Guide
>
> probably not the same thing, however.
>
> Andrew

Thanks.  As it happens, maybe I don't need SS1+ manuals.  I'm still
trying to figure out what I'm looking at.  My question now is whether
this really is a SS1+.  The banner says it's an Axil-255, and Google
brings up several posts that say Axil-255 is a SPARCstation 5 clone.
Can anyone help confirm this?

The system board looks *sort of* like the link Phil Schilling sent:
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/Sun4c/CPU_Station_1plus.h
tml
with some exceptions including:

- Where the NVRAM and boot PROM are labeled U089 and U0637 in the
diagram, I see label U0501 and U0205 on my so-called SS 1+, on units
that look more like they might be the CPU and FPU.  And what looks to
be the boot PROM and NVRAM (under SBUS slot 3) are labeled U0203 and
U0204.
- I don't see any SCSI Fuse or Ethernet Fuse (U2 and F071) at the
location specified by the diagram.
- The floppy power and power supply are next to the memory banks, not
above.

Also, I have the memory slots nearly all populated, but only one
bank(#1) has memory that's recognized, with 32 MB reported.  The PROM
monitor says "nothing there" for the other 3 banks (0, 2, 3).  The
SIMMs are a hodge podge which I haven't tried to research yet (with
any luck anyhow), but the point is that the SS1+ allows 1MB and 4MB
SIMMs, and there are 4 slots to a bank, so any one bank can't have
more than 16MB.  So I don't think this is a SS1+.

Background:  I got this system from a friend (who got it from a
friend) on the condition that I fix the memory, which runs "very hot".
I pulled one bad SIMM that seemed to be the culprit, but am finding a
few other things that need fixing/configuring.  No OS installed, but
it boots to the PROM monitor fine.  I need to tackle the memory and
the SCSI HDD next and find a CD-ROM drive to load the OS.

Fist, I'd be grateful if anyone can help me identify this puppy...

-k