[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Mon Jun 10 09:18:43 CDT 2002

OK, I will bite.  In a proper installation ground is NOT used, the wire is unnecessary for any normal operation, it is there simply to drain voltage if there is a misfunction in the equipment.  In fact that is how a ground fault circuit breaker works, if the curent in the hot line is not exactly equal to the current in the neutral line, then it trips, because there must be a current leakage to ground.  So how did a grounding upgrade fix the problem?

Oh, wait, I was thinking of ground at outlet, If your electrical code bonds neutral->ground at the service box, an improved building ground could help.  Please enlighten me, I didn't think Euro power was significantly different than ours in the US. (other than the obvious voltage/frequency difference)

Tim

<SNIP>