[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Stephen D. B. Wolthusen stephen at wolthusen.com
Mon Jun 10 08:58:53 CDT 2002

On 10-Jun-2002 Loomis, Rip wrote:

> Interesting, and consistent with what I had found--I just hadn't
> put all the pieces together.  I can see why an electric
> heating appliance would need a cord/plug rated for higher temps
> (and therefore de-rated on current)...but does a VAX 4500 really
> get that hot?

No, of course not. Such cables are just made of thicker gauge wire stock to
begin with, and at least in some countries (the UK, if memory serves me) with
fuses typically in the plugs instead of (or additionally to) a central fuse
board, such cables will have a higher fuse rating.

I've had a VS4500 running in my basement for some time (Germany, 240VAC) now.
Without the antique drives the power requirements appear to be quite modest
(although SCSI drives look a little ... puny ... compared to their DSSI
brethren, the speed difference is very much noticeable). Don't have wattage
numbers at hand, though. Just don't get me started about the power (and
grounding!) requirements of the PDP-8 and -11s. The -8 managed to get the
lights flickering before a major grounding upgrade.

--

        later,
        Stephen

Stephen Wolthusen (stephen at wolthusen.com)