[rescue] Rescued VAX 4500 question

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon Jun 10 00:54:31 CDT 2002

Mike Katchabaw wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I recently rescued a VAX 4500 in good condition from one of our local
> computing centres.  It's a complete box and had been out of service
> for a while, which is why they were giving it up.

<SNIP>

> I was given three options by the fellow I talked to there:
>
> 1) Track down a cable, if someone has a spare.  :)
>
> 2) Take an exacto-knife and cut the required notch into a cable.  The
>    tricky part in this is to avoid cutting myself at the same time.
>
> 3) Attempt to break the tab off of the outlet on the VAX.  I'd hate
>    to this in case the tab serves some useful purpose.  Right now, the
>    only purpose I can think of is to force someone to go to DEC to buy
>    another cable off of them for some ridiculous price if they ever
>    needed one.

I'd say, go for the second alternative. It worked perfect for me.
I think it's there cause Digital wanted folks to use higher rated
outlets to run that baby. That's probably significant in a maxed-out
machine, but you'd probably never ever come near the 20Amp-rating,
except for maybe a millisecond at power-on.

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB