[rescue] Shiva Lanrover/8E & 4E

R. Lonstein rlonstein at pobox.com
Sun Jun 9 21:13:51 CDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 11:47:31AM -0400, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
> I'm looking for some terminal servers for my Suns and
> other Unix machines, are the Shiva Lanrover/4E and 8Es
> good units?
    [snip]

I'll chime in on the LANrovers.... they're good in terms of reliability
but just adequate in features. Used them for dial-up with the Modem
modules (Async and BRI were also available, iirc). The 1U form-factor
was nice and the port upgrades (physical) and software upgrades (flash)
went smoothly.

The initial configuration had to be performed from Windows using the
supplied software, early versions of 5.x were a hit or a miss and even
the vendor supplied technicial found himself pin-resetting the boxes a
few times. This was worked out by 5.7, the last version before Intel
took them over. No ssh, just telnet. You could telnet into them and
tweak the configurations in a limited way. The SNMP support was buggy-
there were several vulnerabilities- and we didn't get them working
properly with OpenView.

Most of this probably doesn't matter for a home console server.

- Ross