[rescue] Shiva Lanrover/8E & 4E

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sat Jun 8 19:39:53 CDT 2002

The only experience I had with Shive LanRovers was not good.  We had 4 8 port boxes, one with internal modems, 2 with USR sportsters hanging off the back, and a spare.  One was acting as password server for the others.  They would occasionally just forget the config, they would occasionally forget how to reset an individual channel, I was not fond of them.  On the brighter side, they were in a 1930's era school building, running from naked building power when I got there, after putting them on a UPS they were much improved, but not completely cured.  On the other hand, the spare got "temporarily" pressed into service as a DHCP server, and was still doing that consistently when I left.  (yeah, they weren't designed to do that, but it worked.)

Tim