[rescue] DVD writing on Solaris/SPARC?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jun 9 20:14:12 CDT 2002

Hi all,

Has anyone messed with writing any format of DVDs on a SCSI-based
UltraSPARC desktop system? I'm looking at putting a DVD writer, or at
least a reader, into an Ultra 30 or Ultra 60.

It looks like there's an adjunct to cdrecord that does DVD writing
(ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/ProDVD/) on DVD-R and DVD-RW. So
it appears the software exists (and the README file there says it's been
working for 4 years, which is a good sign).

They write:

	The Pioneer DVR-S101 & DVR-S201 write CD-R's in 1x DVD speed, this
	is approx. 1385 kB/s

	The Pioneer A03 writes DVD-R's in 2x DVD speed, this is approx.
	2770 kB/s

	The Pioneer A03 writes DVD-RW's in 1x DVD speed, this is approx.
	1385 kB/s

So I guess those models should work. Anybody worked with any others, or
have caveats on those pieces?

Also, as an aside, are there any caveats on DVD-ROM (read-only) drives in
Sun computers (other than SCSI)?

Thanks,
Rob