[rescue] RE: Rescued VAX 4500 question

Mike Katchabaw katchab at csd.uwo.ca
Fri Jun 7 20:51:52 CDT 2002

> I've seen this when the supply in question needed a 110 volt / 20 amp feed
> (Cisco Catalyst 6509/6513). I'm not familiar with the V4500, but if it wants
> 20 amp service, a standard powercord will not have the right gauge copper
> wiring and will get warm/smoke/fire (depending on just what gauge wire it
> uses). Also, your wallplug will look different for 20A service.
>
> Instead of:
>
> |   |

> You will have:
>
> |   -

A lot of people I talked to had thought the same.  The cable I saw in
use was of the:

 |   |

variety - standard plug.  The reference manual from DEC that I have for
the box also clearly shows that as the kind of wallplug required.  The
power requirements for the box also appear to be standard service as
well.  (They are quite picky about grounding requirements, but I have
checked and I think I have my bases covered.)

Because I tend to be cautious about these things, that's why option 1
was that someone out there has the appropriate cable to spare, just to
be on the safe side.  Anyone have one or know where I could get one?

Thanks again!

Mike.