[rescue] Sigh

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Jun 7 10:19:23 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:00:27AM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:

I had meant for that to be a private reply to Shawn but was too fast
on the trigger.  Since it wasn't, well.  I doubt my GF goes surfing
for my name on the net.

> Weddings are a bit like wedding rings.  You can spend as much as you want
> (and many people will encourage you to) but what you get out of it has
> nothing to do with money.  Spending thousands of dollars doesn't "prove"
> anything.  Spending years and years does.

I actually hoping to go ring shopping at lunch time today.  I'm want
to look into a custom made engagement ring.  A simple diamond solitare
is what I have in mind.  The custom part would be to just reuse a
diamond that my grandmother left me so that I can hopefully get a
nicer ring than I could otherwise afford since according to its
appraisal at her death it is a nice diamond.

As too how much would be spent on the wedding, I think a lot of that
depends on what my GF would want (assuming she saws yes, which I of
course am).  My opinion is that smaller is better, and smaller usually
means cheaper to my understanding.

I would like a nice reception, but I don't think nice receptions have
to cost a lot.  And of course, I don't know when a wedding would be.
I kinda of think that shortly after graduation would be nice, but
maybe she would prefer to wait until summer.  Who knows.  But waiting
till summer would change my financial needs for the next 9 months a
lot.  We'll see.  In another week or so, I'm planning on taking her
father out for the talk, since I know that is important to her family,
then I'll be asking a few weeks after that I think.

Personally, I think that even honeymoons don't have to cost a
fortune.  Personally I'm more interested in a comfterble location that
is relatively close by (meaning preferably doesn't require air travel)
then some exotic distant place that costs a fortune.  I'm not entirely
sure how she feels on the topic, although I do know that she thinks
that Las Vegas is not a romantic place for a honey moon.

> No matter what you do, it will be a blur when you are in it.  My wife and
> I staggered through our wedding in the throes of the flu, so in a way I'm
> glad we didn't overspend on it.  :)

I know.  I'll probably be sick with nervousness (since I really do get
sick when I'm nervous) and desperately trying not to throw up.

--
Joshua D. Boyd