[rescue] Itanium 2

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Fri Jun 7 08:58:53 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 08:39:03AM +0200, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:
> Chris Petersen wrote:
> >
> > BTW, the roadmaps show that it won't be until the presumed "Itanium 3", in
> > late 2003/2004, that they'll match the dominating performance of the IBM
> > POWER4 chips...
>
> Are you referring to the "Alpha-injected" Itanium?

Good question, Bjorn.  They've been somewhat vague on chip generations so
far, but I believe that the potential "Itanium 3" is the first of the
"Alpha steroids" Itaniums.

Intel's roadmaps usually go something like this:

New Chip Generation
Die Shrink
New Chip Generation
Die Shrink

Or occasionally

New Chip Generation
Die Shrink
Die Shrink
New Chip Generation

So it's hard to say when we'll see the Alpha stuff start to appear.  The
current road map called for something like this:

Itanium (Merced)
Itanium 2 (McKinley) 	- imminent
Madison			- Q2 2003 (refresh for McKinley?)
Deerfield		- Q2 2003 (refresh for McKinley?)
post-Deerfield		- Q2 2004

Madison or Deerfield's supposed to have a 6MB cache...870 chipset supports
McKinley, Madison, Deerfield, so I think it's safe to assume that it's
unlikely any Alpha technology would appear until post-Deerfield, since I
would imagine a chipset change would be in order as well.  Now that I've
revisited my own notes, I think that Deerfield was the chip they were
showing as matching POWER4 performance...Given the chipset information, I
would assume that will still be an Itanium 2.

Supposedly there are 2 generations of chips identifed after Deerfield,
though I can't find their codenames at the moment.  Those are the first 2
transplant candidates...

BTW, Intel is now late again, this time with Itanium 2:
http://www.theinquirer.net/06060212.htm

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions