[rescue] Itanium 2

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 5 15:44:26 CDT 2002

On June 5, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > > But anyway, with the Itanium2, it looks like everything is going to be
> > > at least a 2 way SMP setup.
> >
> >   Uh-huh.  I wonder if it's going to fail as miserably as the Itanium.
>
> Well, they aren't doing enough to get unix people behind them, and MS
> seems to have pretty much abandoned them, so possibly.
>
> I don't hear of too many people using Itaniums.  I know that jahshaka
> team has one, but they don't seem to be turning out much.

  Yeah.  I don't know *anyone* who has one or is considering obtaining
one.  I only know of one person (our own James Sharp) who has ever
even used one.

  With the unbelievable performance figures being quoted for the later
PPC G4s, UltraSPARC-IIIs, and IBM's very beefy POWER4 family, they're
going to have to be pretty amazing to keep up.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                       "*BURRRP!*  Mmm...tastes like cannoli,
St. Petersburg, FL                    smells like garlic!" -Sridhar