[rescue] Sparcstation 1+ unable to detect keyboard, "stock" OS for SS 1+ and Classic?

Matthew Braun mjbraun at enteract.com
Thu Jun 6 07:28:40 CDT 2002

/me decloaks

Hi there; I've posted but a few times and have generally been conent to lurk
but I have a tiny little problem and a basic question.

The problem is that my SS 1+ does not seem to detect any attached keyboard;
I've tried both a 5 and a 4 to no avail. From the serial console, I ran
set-defaults but still nothing. I know the keyboards work as my SS 5 seem to
like them just fine. I've hunted around but I havn't found anything that
works (one site suggested setting the DIP switches to 1D 2D 3U 4D 5D 6D 7U
8D but that didn't do anything either).

Also, what would be the best versions of SunOS / Solaris to put on the 1+
and my new Classic (a freebie with Sun Camera and Soundbox)? I have media
for SunOS 4.1.1 but I'm not sure if that's what these systems were expected
to run. I know the Classic can support Solaris 8, but I'm not planning on
doing much work with these; rather, I'd like to set them up to duplicate how
they might have been used "back in the day".

Any tips appreciated!

"Rub the bee. Rub the bee.
Keep rubbing the bee or damn
  your eyes, your life is ashes.